Friday, March 7, 2014

My most memorable memento - Pallankuzhi

Most of us have some prized possessions or precious keep sakes, they may not be expensive in cost but their presence  gives us comfort vibes. Some possessions are brought, some gifted and some come as heirlooms. Those that come as heirlooms represent our family history and are loaded with family memories. Every time you run your fingers over them or see them it could give you tingles and that “feel good” factor.

I have inherited many such heirlooms some of which are my precious keepsakes. Each treasure comes with a special story that makes me feel blessed to be a part of this lovely family.

Among the many I have, my most treasured heirloom is the Pallankuzhi. It is a native game of India which was more popular much before the satellite era. It comes with a foldable panel and has two sides. Each side has 7 cavities into which coins are dropped. Coins are in the form of tamarind seeds/ cowries. In days of yore, this game aided people in counting and also every time you drop the coin or swipe the cavity, the nerve ending on your fingertips gets activated which developed not just motor skills but also sensory skills like visual skills and hand/eye co-ordination. But, more than all this, was a fun game for me whenever I visited my Grandparents place. We cousins would play against each other/ with our aunts, uncles & grand mom. The game suitable for all ages was not complicated and helped young ones bond with the elders.






Of all the cousins, it was I who was fond of this game and so  paati many years later gave it to me and ever since then this  pallankuzhi which stores some of my childhood family moments is with me.  

I did not want to take away the antiquity of the brown teak wood piece and so added an antique finish polish which still retains its history. My most cherished heirloom occupies a place of pride in my home. Whenever there is a dull moment, all I have to do is put the coins in the cavity and a cloak of warmth engulfs me and makes me misty with happiness.

This post is my entry for the ‘My Most Memorable Memento’ contest conducted by My Yatra Diary travel blog and Indian Coupons."

 I tag SG, Shilpa Garg & Usha menon for this contest. 



18 comments:

  1. Excellent post Hope you win. I remember Pallankuzhi. I also remember the aadu-puli aattam (15 goats vs 3 tigers). Nobody can beat our grand mother who was 80 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never played aadu puli aatam, though i have heard about it. so, you too played with your grandmom. thank you SG.

      Delete
  2. Do you still remember how to play pallankuzhi ?? In my younger days it was considered a "feminine" game as opposed to running around the playfield !! So never learnt it :(

    Preserve it carefully, for its one of those things that is dying out and such heirlooms are wonderful to keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, was it a "feminine game"? Did'nt know this. I have taught this to my children and till a couple of summers back, my children and their friends would play this game in summer breaks especially noons. Thank you, Ramesh. yes sure, will preserve.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I learn yet something new on your blog! Was not aware of this game Pallankuzhi and that heirloom looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for tagging me and wishing you the very best for the contest, Asha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems like a game of south india, shilpa. Though it is popular in south africa too under a different name. This game has now gone online. Thank you, shilpa.

      Delete
  4. It was mandatory to have this game in every family in those days.
    You are lucky you got to keep it. Now we hardly get to see these games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still available Rama. There are many foundations now to revive the native games like "Kreeda" and "Marabu". 10 years back they were available in upmarket stores like lifestyle, odyssey, crossword under the brand name "Kreeda". Not sure now, though. Thank you, Rama:)

      Delete
  5. Loved reading this post! Yes, this used to be a part of the family while I was growing up. But it seems like I missed the fun because I was always into books than games. The way you described it, I felt as if I should go back in time to those long summer vacations when cousins would excitedly play this game and with the elders watching on.

    You are blessed that you have it with you. These are the little treasures in our journey of life that mark us out as distinct, beautiful souls. Loved this post so much, keep writing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! how I wish we could time travel. Even i want to go back in time and experience all these, Swapna. Thank you Swapna for such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  6. Renu has left a new comment on your post "My most memorable memento - Pallankuzhi":

    I nevr knew about this game..Thank you Asha for this info ! and all the best for contest!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Renu, your comment got deleted while publishing from my mobile. Will take care next time and thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  7. Great post.
    Participate in iCynosure's International Blogoversary Giveaway and win cool hampers - http://www.icynosure.in/2014/03/intl-blogoversary-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to have something old from the family. They did right by giving it to you as they know you will take care of it (going by your interest in the game)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah feels nice to have some old forgotten things. Thank you haddock for the visit and comment:)

      Delete
  9. Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was something new for me too... Looked beautiful ... very vintage... :)

    ReplyDelete